|Wheels to the Field|
The purpose of the Wheels to the Field fund for Education in the Outdoors is to promote quality educational experiences in the outdoors for the youth of the San Luis Valley. This fund will cover the mileage and driver expenses of outdoor education trips that meet the following criteria:
Focus of activity is to provide quality education outdoors.
Activity must be for pre K-12 grade youth from Colorado's San Luis Valley (including Creede).
Activity must link to Colorado Education Content Standards.
Travel is limited to the upper Rio Grande Basin in Colorado.
Funding for non-Great Sand Dunes field trips is limited to no more than $200/trip, $500/school. There is currently no limit on funding for field trips to Great Sand Dunes National Park.
This funding may be used to cover transportation costs only (bus/van mileage and driver).
Application must be received at least two weeks before your scheduled activity.
Note: These funds are not to be used for sporting activities or picnics.
The San Luis Valley Environmental and Conservation Education Coalition (ECEC) has worked to make applying for and receiving transportation dollars as easy as possible while ensuring accountability for the funds.
At least two weeks before your outdoor education trip:
Apply online for grant funds. We will inform you by phone that your application has been accepted.
Following your outdoor education trip:
Submit the following materials to Judy Lopez, 101 S. Craft Drive, Alamosa, CO 81101
Depending on where you took your field trip, your school will then be sent a check from:
ALL of the above steps must be completed in order for your school to be reimbursed for transportation costs.
Questions? Please call Judy Lopez at 580-5300 or Mike Blakeman at 852-6212.
- San Luis Valley National Wildlife Refuges
- San Luis Valley Public Land Center (SLV Bureau of Land Management and Rio Grande National Forest)
- Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
- SLV Soil Conservation Districts
- SLV Rock (Regional Outdoor Center for Knowledge)
- EarthNest Institute
- Natural Resource Conservation Service
- Volunteer Connections of the San Luis Valley
- San Luis Valley Resource Conservation and Development Council
- Rio Grande Water Conservation Districts
- CSU Extension
- The Nature Conservancy
- Education Community
- Private Individuals
- ASC Community Partnerships Service Learning Program